Saturday, March 23, 2013

First Day Back in Korea: From one homo hill to another

There's nothing like a scraped elbow, street meat and a 7:00am subway ride home to welcome you back to Seoul.


So to start - long ass, delayed flight.  I took some pills, drank some makgeolli but still woke up somewhere over Russia.  I watched The Perks of Being a Wallflower on the plane - I think it might be hands-down the worst movie I've seen in years.  But on to Korea.


I dragged all my stuff from Incheon to Seoul and arrived at my hostel.  I was greeted by a great rooftop view of the insanity that is Hongdae on a Saturday night.  Dustin had friends over who made us some great rice cake.  Alex was finishing up at the Super Junior show and we met up in Itaewon to eat some BBQ, see her roommate at her bar and then head to Homo Hill.


Just being weird at Venue


Foggy dancing at Why Not?  This place was empty when we were here first but then we kept coming back and around 5am it was packed.

The best part was this group of gay boys who just danced to the mirrors all night.  They knew all the moves from 2NE1's I Am the Best.  We were in awe.


Milkshake in a pouch?




After dancing and drinking at Why Not? we decided to pick up a bottle of Soju from 7/11 and walk around Homo Hill a bit. We wanted to check out the whole scene.  Turns out - it is just one block.  We took two steps and realized we had hit the end.  Fun fact: one block over is Hooker Hill, around the corner is the largest GI (American Soldier) Hip Hop club in Seoul, and another block over is the largest Mosque in Seoul.  


Some sleepy dancing at Queen.  This is where I met a boy named Kang BeomJun.  He was adorable and danced with us for a while.  As he was about to add me on Facebook, he dropped his phone and it turned off.  He then disappeared.  There are a million Kang BeomJun's on Facebook.  Gone forever.

We got some street food as the sun was coming up and headed back home.  I fell multiple times.  Go figure.



Now, it is a beautiful Sunday afternoon in Hongdae and I shall explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment